Web hosting can be of different types, the most common ones being shared and dedicated hosting. In shared hosting, a single server is shared by multiple users whereas, in dedicated hosting, an entire server is rented by a single client enterprise exclusively for its own needs. So, dedicated hosting will provide you with unlimited resources and helps you handle large volumes of web traffic to your site.
What do dedicated hosting plans offer?
Users have root access to the server and can tweak its settings to suit their own business interests. They can also install custom software or applications to further their business goals. When you launch an individual website or personal website or a static website, you are not likely to get a lot of traffic at the start. Choosing shared hosting plans makes sense because this is a cost-effective yet reliable hosting alternative. So for start-ups, shared hosting plans are preferable because these companies will need to work on a tight budget.
However, for an e-commerce website that gets a lot of incoming traffic and engages in online financial transactions, dedicated hosting plans are suitable because these will guarantee them a high network uptime. So, before signing up with a web host for dedicated hosting plans, it may be a good idea to consider the advantages and disadvantages of dedicated hosting. An analysis of the main advantages and disadvantages of dedicated hosting will help you understand whether this hosting alternative can benefit your business.
Key advantages and disadvantages of dedicated hosting:
- Among the most significant advantages of dedicated hosting is reliability. Dedicated servers are highly reliable because resources are never shared with others as in shared hosting. You will not need to be worried about your neighbors using up too many resources like disk space, bandwidth or memory.
- When you choose dedicated hosting, you do not have to be concerned about getting blacklisted in case any of your neighbors is a spam site. In shared hosting, your site’s rankings in search engine results are likely to be affected when other sites on the same server are found to be spam sites. But on a dedicated server, even if there is a bad script running on any other site, it will not affect your rankings or slow down your website.
- With dedicated hosting plans, another key benefit you can enjoy is that of enhanced security. Dedicated servers will guarantee a high server uptime of 99.9% and this is well suited for sites which get large volumes of online traffic. Dedicated server hosting providers will also offer additional security layers through SSL certificates and FTP accounts for companies which deal with online payments.
- Dedicated servers are highly flexible and scalable. Users have root access to the server and they can customize it suitable to server their own business needs. So, users can choose as much RAM or CPU or bandwidth as they need to improve their website’s performance. Users can even access additional resources like higher bandwidth when the traffic peaks during specific periods.
- Every dedicated server will also have its own IP address unlike in shared hosting where one IP address gets shared among multiple sites. This feature is essential when you run e-commerce sites that need SSL certificates for processing credit card transactions.
- When you choose managed dedicated hosting plans, you do not have to buy costly hardware or maintain a qualified and experienced IT staff to monitor server-related problems. The host troubleshoots all server problems and supervises server management, improving your return on investment.
- Given the many benefits which dedicated hosting plans offer, it is no surprise therefore that these plans are costlier than either shared hosting or VPS hosting.
- When you choose unmanaged dedicated hosting, you will be required to set up the servers and even maintain or repair these. This can turn out to be a costly proposition because you must recruit highly qualified and experienced personnel to monitor and secure the servers. This is why most small and medium sized businesses prefer upgrading to VPS hosting first before taking the plunge in dedicated hosting.
- To run dedicated servers, you will need extensive expertise and skills; for instance, you must be aware of server mechanisms, IP routing etc. You can also hire a network administrator to take care of these aspects of server management. While the dedicated server will not crash easily, it can be extremely challenging to repair it if that happens.