You can opt for the RYA (Royal Yachting Association) Competent Crew Course spread across 5 days or over the weekend.
The RYA Competent Crew Course is the perfect course for beginners in the nascent stage with limited experience and wish to learn sailing. This course is tailor made for dinghy sailors who desire to learn sailing a cruising yacht. It is also beneficial to those who have already some experience in sailing but wish to learn much more about crewing in a safe manner and utilizing the right techniques.
RYA instructors need to have exhaustive experience and must ensure that you learn the skills in a safe and secure environment. Moreover, they need to make sure that the time you spend on the water is extremely enjoyable. Potential candidates should conduct thorough research with regard to prospective service providers by checking out life on board during an RYA Competent Crew Course in the form of videos.
Pre-requisites for the Course:
- No minimum age; however, unaccompanied individuals below age 18 are not allowed
- No prior experience is essential
- The course is customized for absolute beginners
- Individuals with some sailing experience will still benefit from the course
What does the Course Include?
- Bespoke services of highly-experienced RYA instructors
- Accommodation on board the yacht
- Meals consumed on board, excluding the joining night
- Fees for berthing
- Usage of foul-weather gear
- Usage of a life jacket and requisite safety equipment
- RYA Competent Crew Certificate
- State-of-the-art marina facilities at the base with close proximity to public transport
The course excludes one evening meal, which needs to be eaten ashore.
The RYA Competent Crew Course is designed to assist you in becoming a proficient and safe crew member while simultaneously enjoying your time ashore on the sea. You will be taught the fundamentals of helmsman ship and seamanship in sheltered waters. If you opt for a 5-day Competent Crew Course, you stand a chance of steering, handling sails, being a part of the crew, and gaining hands-on sailing experience.
What to Expect:
- A maximum of five students on board
- You may be required to share a saloon or cabin although service providers do their best to match layout of the boat to the student mix
- For those who wish to maintain privacy of their cabin would be provided the option of sole occupancy
- Be adequately prepared for your expert instructor to carry out changes based on the tide, wind, or any other factor that can affect the course
What Lies Ahead:
After successful completion of the course, you will develop a liking to engage in more sailing and further advance your experience and skills. This course enables students to become extremely useful crew members on board sailing a yacht.
Some training academies offer weekend programmers to complete the course. Upon successful completion of course, you will be awarded the prestigious RYA Crew Course Certificate. Following this, you can then progress to other practical and useful courses.